Medicine has conventionally had four modes of treating diseases or disorders: counseling or “talk therapy”; physical therapy involving manipulation and strengthening of muscles and range of motion; pharmaceuticals that act on a chemical level; and altering or augmenting tissue through surgery, injections, or filtering methods like dialysis. The growing field of neuromodulation is a new class of therapies that involves directly treating the nervous system itself, often through small implanted devices that target a specific area, to rebalance the activity of neural circuits and manage symptoms.
Providers of such therapies include neurosurgeons, pain physician specialists and rehabilitation physicians. They may often work with other specialists such as neurologists, psychiatrists, psychologists, gastrointestinal or colorectal specialists, urologists, primary care physicians, and physical therapists to achieve best outcomes.
Please see the following fact sheets, or visit our therapies portal, to learn more.
• Angina (Medically Refractory) by Christophe Perruchoud, MD, and Mike JL DeJongste, MD, PhD
• Brain-Computer Interfaces in Movement Disorders by John P. Donoghue, PhD
• Cancer Pain and Neuromodulation by Lisa Stearns, MD
• Chronic Critical Limb Ischemia by G. Colini Baldeschi, MD, FIPP
• Complex Regional Pain Syndrome by Marc Russo, MBBS, DA(UK)FANZCA, FFPMFANZCA
• Deep Brain Stimulation by Nancy Garcia, reviewed by Hong Yu, MD
• Deep Brain Stimulation Surgery by Nancy Garcia, reviewed by Hong Yu, MD
• Deep Brain Stimulation Targets by Nancy Garcia, reviewed by Hong Yu, MD
• Epilepsy (Medically Refractory) by Chengyuan Wu, MD, MSBmE
• Failed Back Surgery Syndrome by Marc Russo, MBBS, DA(UK)FANZCA, FFPMFANZCA
• Fecal Incontinence by Wesley Lai, MB, ChB, MRCS and Nicholas Kenefick, BChir, MB, MA, MD, FRCS
• Gastric Disorders by Jiande Chen, PhD
• Headache (Medically Refractory) by Erich O. Richter, MD, Kenneth M. Alo`, MD, and Marina V. Abramova, MD
• Intrathecal Drug Delivery Systems by Nancy Garcia; reviewed by Francis Luscombe, MB, BS, FRCA, FFPMRCA
• Migraine by Nancy Garcia; reviewed by Kenneth M. Alo`, MD
• Neuropathy by Nancy Garcia; reviewed by Kenneth M. Alo`, MD
• Neuropathic Pain by Simon Thomson, MBBS, FRCA, FIPP, FFPMRCA
• Painful Peripheral Neuropathy by Nancy Garcia; reviewed by Kenneth M. Alo`, MD
• Pelvic Floor Disorders by Sohier Elneil, B.Sc (Hons), MBChB, PhD (Cantab.), MRCOG
• Parkinson's Disease by Hong Yu, MD and Konstantin V. Slavin, MD
• Spasticity by Konstantina Petropoulou, MD, PhD
• Spinal Cord Stimulation by Nancy Garcia, reviewed by Simon Thomson, MBBS, FRCA, FIPP, FFPMRCA
• Urologic Disorders by Magdy Hassouna, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Please note: This information should not be used as a substitute for medical treatment and advice. Always consult a medical professional about any health-related questions or concerns.